sarahope

The Loaded Bookshelf

I'm an Editor in book publishing. All opinions are my own.

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
John Berendt
American Rust
Philipp Meyer
The First Rumpole Omnibus
John Mortimer

Jackets, Ooh-la-la: Adult Edition

Rose Variations - Marisha Chamberlain The Little Giant of Aberdeen County - Tiffany Baker A Tale for the Time Being - Ruth Ozeki The Seamstress: A Novel - Frances De Pontes Peebles The Thirteenth Tale By Diane Setterfield - -Atria Books- Maisie Dobbs - Jacqueline Winspear

I am a complete slave to jacket art.  A beautiful or compelling jacket is definitely one factor that might cause me to pick up a book in the store, or look it up online to find out if the reviews and plot outline seem of interest to me.  Here are some of my favs for adult fiction.

THE ROSE VARIATIONS -- I haven't even read this book (maybe I will pick it up now) . . . but good god, it's a woman pushing her cello on a bicycle!

THE LITTLE GIANT OF ABERDEEN COUNTY -- I love the large dress form, which contrasts my normal vision of mannequins as being too thin, Barbie-ish.  You know the heroine of this book won't be like that.

A TALE FOR THE TIME BEING -- if you read the book, the meaning of every panel will become clear.  It's the most appropriate and beautiful text to jacket cover I've seen.

THE SEAMSTRESS -- I found this book quite slow, but still love the jacket.  I'm not crafty myself, don't know how to sew or knit or anything, but I'm often drawn to jackets and stories that depict those things.

THE THIRTEENTH TALE -- I love old books, I love the historical, gothic feel.  Everything about this jacket screamed you must read me.

MAISIE DOBBS -- The same illustrator has done all of Jaqueline Winspear's jackets (I think), which gives the series a consistent look, and I find the drawings quite appealing.

What are your fav adult book jackets?

Soon to follow: Jackets, Ooh-la-la: YA Edition.