sarahope

The Loaded Bookshelf

I'm an Editor in book publishing. All opinions are my own.

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
John Berendt
American Rust
Philipp Meyer
The First Rumpole Omnibus
John Mortimer

Criminally Underrated Friday

The Book of Killowen - Erin Hart Haunted Ground - Erin Hart False Mermaid - Erin Hart Lake of Sorrows: A Novel - Erin Hart

Though I'm as into popular, bestselling books as the next gal, I think it's a special feeling to discover an underrated gem, an author or book that didn't break out and land on everyone's radar.  Every Friday I will post about one of mine.

The Nora Gavin / Cormac Maguire series by Erin Hart

This wonderful series is by no means unknown, but I'm such an evangelist for Erin Hart's novels that I'd love to see them hitting bestseller lists.  The only downside to them is that they don't come out annually, but rather every 2-3 years.  The novels pair American pathologist Nora Gavin with Irish archaeologist Cormac Maguire in mysteries set mostly in Ireland, and mostly involving bodies found in bogs or at archaeological digs--bodies that are not historic finds.  Hart's prose is lovely, and she excels at characterization, both of her protagonists and of the surrounding castmembers in each novel.  The mystery plotlines are carefully drawn.  And Hart clearly backs up each novel with significant research, though she never dumps information on the reader just for the sake of showcasing her knowledge.  If you appreciate literary mysteries in the vein of Jacqueline Winspear or Kate Atkinson, this series is for you.