sarahope

The Loaded Bookshelf

I'm an Editor in book publishing. All opinions are my own.

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
John Berendt
American Rust
Philipp Meyer
The First Rumpole Omnibus
John Mortimer

Vacation!

A Fierce Radiance: A Novel - Lauren Belfer Nightshifted - Cassie Alexander Happier at Home: Kiss More, Jump More, Abandon a Project, Read Samuel Johnson, and My Other Experiments in the Practice of Everyday Life - Gretchen Rubin

I love planning books to take on vacation, though whether or not I get around to reading them is a different story.  I'm about to embark on my summer vacation for July 4th, and have chosen these books to accompany me on my travels:

A FIERCE RADIANCE -- this is a pick for my July book club meeting (it's my pick, so I really should make sure to read it).  A historical work about a female reporter covering the invention of penicillin, I'm hoping this will have a great period feel.

NIGHTSHIFTED -- A nurse works on a hospital ward where the patients aren't quite . . . natural.  I didn't think I'd get this in from the library until after vacation, but it's waiting for me now, so I'll pick this up as my "guilty fun" read.

HAPPIER AT HOME -- I loved Rubin's first book THE HAPPINESS PROJECT.  Though I haven't undertaken a happiness project of my own, I find her insights and examples useful, and think I've drawn some benefit from reading her books even if I haven't put what I've learned into organized practice.  Also, I sometimes find it easier to read non-fiction on airplanes than fiction.

What books are you taking on vacay?