sarahope

The Loaded Bookshelf

I'm an Editor in book publishing. All opinions are my own.

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
John Berendt
American Rust
Philipp Meyer
The First Rumpole Omnibus
John Mortimer

Getting Excited for Summer

Night Film - Marisha Pessl The Yonahlossee Riding Camp for Girls - Anton DiSclafani The Elite - Kiera Cass If You Were Here - Alafair Burke The Thinking Woman's Guide to Real Magic - Emily Croy Barker How the Light Gets In - Louise Penny

It's finally feeling like spring where I live, with gorgeous, sunny weather outside today.  I'm not a huge fan of winter, so these signs of impending summer make me positively gleeful.  One thing I love to do around this time is contemplate my anticipated summer reads, the books I'll take with me on vacation or read outside accompanied by some cold lemonade or beer.  Some upcoming titles I'm excited about include the below.  For full disclosure, I work at the publisher of two of these books, but not at the particular imprints, and I have nothing to do with their publication.

If You Were Here by Alafair Burke -- I'm a big fan of Burke's sadly defunct Samantha Kincaid series and the other standalone I've read, Long Gone, so I'm looking forward to this new standalone title.  After this, I will have to go back and start the Ellie Hatcher series.

Night Film by Marisha Pessl -- I enjoyed Pessl's debut, Special Topics in Calamity Physics, while simultaneously feeling it was a little youthfully pretentious.  Hopefully she's gotten some of that out of her system and this sophomore effort will feel more mature.

How the Light Gets In by Louise Penny -- Penny's Armand Gamache and Jean-Guy Beauvoir are two of my favorite recent literary creations.  I devour every novel of hers.

The Thinking Woman's Guide to Real Magic by Emily Croy Barker -- This sounds like an appealing combination of magic and romance, perfect beach reading.

The Yonahlossee Riding Camp for Girls by Anton Disclafani -- A horse riding school for debutantes in the Despression-era South!  Doesn't that say enough?

The Elite by Kiera Cass -- This is a bit of a guilty summer read.  I read The Selection this year despite seeing a lot of complaints about it that I ultimately found legitimate (that love triangle plotlines are tired, and the prince is self-important).  I liked it anyway.  I'll definitely read this follow-on to find out what happens, but am definitely hoping that the political situation plays a larger role in this book than the last.

What are you looking forward to reading this summer?