sarahope

The Loaded Bookshelf

I'm an Editor in book publishing. All opinions are my own.

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
John Berendt
American Rust
Philipp Meyer
The First Rumpole Omnibus
John Mortimer

Fall is A'Comin'

Shadow of Night - Deborah Harkness A Feast for Crows  - George R.R. Martin Lookaway, Lookaway - Wilton Barnhardt Bellman & Black - Diane Setterfield Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn

I love the fall.  The anticipation of the holidays, rich fall food (pumpkin muffins, yum!), the scents of cinnamon and pumpkin spice, everything about the season is satisfying.  Growing up in Southern California, a place with only summer and winter, I had no idea of the beauty of the fall colors, the joy of moderate temperatures after a hot and humid summer, and the comfort of crisp, cool days spent inside reading a nice long book.

For me, the fall is time for a certain kind of book.  I've kicked things off with Fingersmith by Sarah Waters, a 19th-century-set  tale abundant with long-buried secrets, con artists, twists and turns, and Dickensian touches.  It has accompanied me on train rides to and from work that are increasingly dark as the daylight shortens.  The fall is a time for dark things, I think, and this was the perfect book to launch the season.  I also hope to return to Westeros in A Feast for Crows and finally read Gone Girl, which I've been quite tardy about.  Finally, I'm quite looking forward to the new novella by Diane Setterfield, whose masterful Gothic novel The Thirteenth Talecaptivated me entirely.

But I can't read ALL dark things!  So I'll sprinkle the season with other anticipated reads, or authors I need to catch up on.  Earlier this year I LOVED A Discovery of Witches, so it's about time to move onto the sequel.  And Lookaway, Lookaway sounds like a fun, snarky examination of life in the American South.

What will YOU curl up with this fall, accompanied by apple cider or a pumpkin spice latte?