sarahope

The Loaded Bookshelf

I'm an Editor in book publishing. All opinions are my own.

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
John Berendt
American Rust
Philipp Meyer
The First Rumpole Omnibus
John Mortimer

Need Fantasy Recommendations

The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) - Patrick Rothfuss Elantris - Brandon Sanderson A Song of Ice and Fire: A Game of Thrones / A Clash of Kings / A Storm of Swords / A Feast for Crows - George R.R. Martin The Curse of Chalion - Lois McMaster Bujold Poison Study  - Maria V. Snyder The Misted Cliffs - Catherine Asaro

Hello Booklikers!

I'm hoping you all can help me out.  I'm interested in seeking out more adult fantasy novels.  Though I read a fair amount of YA fantasy, I've been slower to find adult fantasy.  Among the authors I really like are Patrick Rothfuss, Brandon Sanderson, George R. R. Martin, and Lois McMaster Bujold.  I also like romantic fantasy authors like Catherine Asaro and Maria V. Snyder.  Any recommendations?

A few caveats:

1. I'm squeamish about a few sex things--I'm turned off by a lot of promiscuity by the protagonists or spouse swapping, or anything else that could be construed as "icky." Very technical term, I know. For instance, from what I've heard, Jacqueline Carey's books aren't for me.

2. I'm not big on fairy tale re-tellings, though I do appreciate some.

3. If it's really unrelentingly dark, I need to be warned. I can deal with it if I have some idea what to expect.

4. Commercially published works only, please!